The Marina Bay Sands Resort complex, opened last year has two theaters, and has been bringing in some interesting shows. We went to see Lion King, which was very good. I never saw the Disney movie, but the play had some outstanding costumes and a remarkable set.
Last week we attended the Cirque Eloize, which was beyond amazing. This is a show in the manner of Cirque de Soleil, with nonstop action. It was a mixture of Broadway dance, street break dancing, X-Games, and gymnastics. The troupe is a group out of Canada, that tours world wide. (This was a formal show, similar to the group we came across performing in a shopping mall for a Christmas promotion).
I was trying to imagine a bulletin for recruiting performers for this group. I think it might go something like this:
Broadly talented entertainers with superb athletic and artistic abilities to perform in a ballet-circus type performing group. Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Strong abilities in modern dance
- Skillful jugglers
- Highly skilled in gymnastics, including tumbling, high wire, and ring. Must demonstrate strength and skills in partner gymnastics.
- Demonstrated skills in trampoline gymnastics
- Demonstrated skills with bicycle gymnastics
- Must be extremely flexible, multi-jointed. Contortionist abilities a plus.
- Great endurance-- must be able to perform the above skills and acts for the duration of a 2 or 3 hour show.
- Strong teamwork-- must demonstrate an ability to work with others and trust their own skills in dangerous team performance acts, that potentially could result in your own injury and/or paralysis.
- Olympic medal winner a plus
If you have the opportunity to catch one of these shows, don't miss it!