Monday, June 27, 2011

Please Sir, I Want Some More

One of the "delicacies" of SE Asia is Durian, a regional fruit.  (See my post last year).  As one local Singaporean put it, "Most Westerners don't care for it".  That is an understatement.  It is definitely an acquired taste, although we have one Western expat friend that likes it very much.  It has an extremely strong odor, so much so that it is not allowed to be carried on the MRT (subway train).  It is sold in the local grocery store where I do most marketing, when in season.  At first the smell was difficult to deal with, but I am now accustomed to it, and barely notice it.  Eating it, on the other hand, is a different manner.  I have tried it, but can't say I "care for it".
So it was with some amazement that I came across this recent news story about the Guiness World Record for eating durian.  Sixteen seeds (the fruit has large pods inside its husk, each about the size of a tangerine) in a minute.  Since it took me several seconds to even begin to brave consuming my small sample of one pod, (with help of a vodka chaser), I am humbled and awed by this feat.

No comments:

Post a Comment